Loading external javascript files

In this project I’m porting there’s about a dozen external pages and just as many javascript files. It would look something like this:
\pages\about.html
\js\about.js

So, the about.html is being loaded but I can’t figure out how to load the about.js when the about.html page is loaded (I don’t want to keep a bunch of javascript in the dom when it’s hardly ever used because even minified this app is quite large).

In my various JQMobile apps I have an “engine” with a page init handler which I’ve implemented in F7 like this:

$$(document).on('page:init', function (e, page) {
  switch(page.name)
  {
    case "about":
      console.log(page.name);
      break;
  }

The above works on all the pages I’m experimenting with but I need to load in the pages associated .js file. In the apps I need to port, I used the above switch statement and a basic jquery function to load in the .js files like this:

case "aboutPage":
      $.getScript("js/about.js", function( data, textStatus, jqxhr ) {
          onAboutInit();    // call the page init function
      }).fail(function(xhr, textStatus, error) { jsLoadError(xhr, textStatus, error, "about"); });
      break;

Is there an equivalent way of loading the external .js files in F7 and/or will the JQuery method still work?

I tried sticking the script tag at the bottom of the page’s html and that didn’t load the about.js file and calls to aboutPageInit(); failed.

Also, I realize that I can use the router and stick some page init code in it but some of the init code is pretty long and, again, I don’t want to fill up the dom with a bunch of code that never gets used).

Update: This DOES work (but is there a better way?):

$$(document).on('page:init', function (e, page) {
  switch(page.name)
  {
    case "about":
      console.log(page.name);
      $.getScript("js/about.js", function( data, textStatus, jqxhr ) {
        aboutPageInit();
      }).fail(function(xhr, textStatus, error) { jsLoadError(xhr, textStatus, error, "about"); });
      break;
  }
});

There are a lot of options you can try. Have a look at this page ( https://framework7.io/docs/routes.html ). I personally prefer ‘componentUrl’; which your HTML, CSS, and JS code are on the same page. You can see the structure via ( https://framework7.io/docs/router-component.html#single-file-component ).

Best,
~ Nathan.

1 Like

Thanks @NathanHarold - I’d already been through those. I think we’ll stick with the jQuery method for now. Less code to port.